Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Doctors Orders - Red Wine & Chocolate

If you have been keeping up with my weekly weigh in posts then you know I have been doing pretty good to have lost over 20 pounds. I have been eating healthier for the most part. I went in for my yearly physical and find that my cholesterol is not a pretty number. In fact it was downright ugly! 285!! Not good!! Now I know that heredity has a lot to do with it. Your weight really isn't always a deciding factor. I had a friend whose cholesterol was always high and she never weighed over 120 pounds. She passed away a few years ago from cancer. In fact, I remember another time when my cholesterol was a little over the mark and I was 15 years younger and around 115. So I am pretty sure mine is something I am not going to be able to control with diet alone.

So there are a couple of things my doctor suggested I do that aren't too bad. One (and my favorite) is dark chocolate. So, I am eating 6 dark chocolate Hershey kisses ever night. Second  - a glass of red wine. I am not a drinker at all. Nothing against wine, but I have never really been able to drink more than a glass anyway. So, I have already gone through several bottles. All different kinds. Mostly I choose by the looks of the bottle - I like pretty bottles. I even bought a wine rack to display them. Mad Housewife is a cool looking bottle. Kind of vintage looking. Skinny Girl is cute. The Naked Grape is pretty. So as I type this I am having a glass of Pinot Noir... Mirassou. However, they all still taste the same to me. It doesn't matter if it is a $6 wine or a $12 wine (and I'm sorry, but I am not paying more than that!) that first sip or two is so not good...but by the time I get about a third down, it ain't so bad...lol


I am also taking a prescription medication. I just refilled my third bottle. Once it is completed I have to go back for a recheck. I have no idea how she is supposed to know if the wine, chocolate or medication is the reason for bringing it down IF it comes down.  I seriously do not want to be on a statin drug for the rest of my born days! 

Maybe it's a good thing I'm not a big wine drinker. Being given doctors orders to drink wine could be a bad idea for some! I am pretty sure I am in more danger of becoming a chocolate addict. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

♪♫♫♪Comments are music to my ears♪♫♪♫