Monday, February 24, 2014

You've Got A Friend In Me





This weekend we visited my in-laws in San Marcos and attended the church they all go to. It is a huge church with 3 morning services, a beautiful building and a really good preacher. This was our 2nd time to hear him preach and once again, he had a dynamite sermon.

This is just from my notes - and I felt they were worth laying out there in the blog world. All the scriptures are found in Proverbs.

These are the 6 qualities of being a FRIEND:

1. Committed - Stays through whatever you are facing. Walks in when everyone else is walking out.
Proverbs 18:24 One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

2. Considerate - Puts your feelings ahead of their own.
Proverbs 17:9 Whoever would foster love covers over an offense, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.

3. Confidential - Trust worthy, someone you can tell anything. Takes it to the graves.
Proverbs 11:13 A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy person keeps a secret.

4. Candid - truthful, honest - doesn't tell you what you want to hear just to butter you up or stay on your good side.
Proverbs 27: 5-6 5 Better is open rebuke than love that is concealed. Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but deceitful are the kisses of an enemy.

5. Constructive - Cheerleader, challenges you to do better. They are the president of your fan club. Does not tear you down.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

6. Consistent -  You can count on them time after time.
Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.

Count yourself blessed if you have at least one friend who has these qualities. I have many "friends" on Facebook - some of these "friends" I never even talk to in person. Some I haven't seen since high school. Some in my own family that I haven't seen since I was a kid. So they aren't really friends. They are acquaintances. I have a small handful of people I consider my real friends. I have a few that fit most of these qualities. I have had a couple in my life that fit all of them. I have even had a few that I thought fit all of them - but when it came down to the real deal - they weren't really true friends. I am sure we have all had those in our lives.

The sad part is - I am sure there have been people in my life that they thought they could say I filled the bill for these friendship qualities, but I failed them in the end. I hope it was never on purpose.

The people I call my true friends in this season of my life, I want them to be able to count on me. I want to strive to make these 6 qualities part of the friendship package that I have to offer. I want to be committed to them. I want to be considerate of them. I want them to have my confidence. I want to be candid with them. I hope to be constructive. I want to be consistent so they know what they see is what they get and they are happy with that!


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

♪♫♫♪Comments are music to my ears♪♫♪♫