Thursday, July 29, 2010

Miley's Vet Visit


Miles had a visit to the vet this week and an update on his shots. This is something I always dread. It is almost like when I took my kids in for shots when they were babies. I think it is harder on the parent than the one receiving the shots.
I am a firm believer in preventative care. Miles is on the monthly Heartguard and he looks forward to that little chew so much. It is like he knows when it is the first of the month. When he sees me open the little drawer I keep them in, he is like dog gone wild! They smell like beef, so must be pretty tasty to him. Before Miles was adopted, he was dropped at a kill shelter with a severe case of heartworms from neglectful owners who never gave him any kind of preventative care. He is so lucky to be alive today. It is so important to stay on top of this. There are other ways of prevention other than the monthly chew, but this is the easy way for me to remember, the 1st of the month - plus he loves the chew.

He weighs 5 lbs. 6 oz. and at 6 years old, healthy as can be, especially for having heartworms when he was younger. His check up was all good, teeth are pretty good, but needs a little more brushing and the vet said he needs at least 1 or 2 rawhides per week, which I never give him. They have always scare me. I have this fear of them lodging in his throat or in his intestines. She said to give him medium size ones and always be around when he has them and to take away before it gets so small he is likely to swallow it. I bought him Dingo "goof balls" and they are strips of rawhide wrapped around in the shape of a ball. He seems to like those. I picked up a bag at Petsmart.
I took a picture of him right after he had blood drawn. He looks so pitiful. The vet and a technician held him because I just can't stand to hold him myself. I get so upset to hear him cry and the look in his eyes that says "help me, mom!" :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment

♪♫♫♪Comments are music to my ears♪♫♪♫