Thursday, October 18, 2012

Why Do People Suffer?

Why does God allow people to suffer?

I have heard that question asked many times - I have asked the question myself. My husbands father died of cancer several years ago and it was a long 18 month battle. It was very painful for him and it went into his bones and his brain. My husband has asked me that question so many times - why did his dad have to suffer so much? He was a Godly man - he was a deacon in the church - he taught Sunday School - a faithful Christian to the end - and yet the pain never let up all the way until death.  All through out his last days people of the church were there - bringing food, allowing breaks for my mother in law and the family that were there. The small town in his community all but shut down when he died to attend his funeral. He was loved that much.
This morning during my time with God - the question just popped into my mind - Why did Brad's dad have to suffer so much when he  was so devoted to you, God? Why? God revealed His answer to me  so clearly - YES, HE LOVED ME - YES HE WAS FAITHFUL - ALL THE WAY TO THE END AS I KNEW HE WOULD BE. BUT EVERYONE DIDN'T KNOW THAT. SOME WOULD HAVE THOUGHT HE WOULD CRUMBLE. SOME WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THE FAMILY WOULD CRUMBLE. THEY DIDN'T. THEY CONTINUED TO TRUST ME ALL THE WAY TO THE END AND I STAYED WITH HIM ALL THE WAY TO THE LAST BREATH AND I TOOK HIM IN MY ARMS AND REWARDED HIM FOR HIS FAITHFULNESS.

Ralph (Brad's dad) never gave up on God. He never cursed God. He never hated God. He fought the battle of cancer - but he gave God the praise. He was a living testimony until death. His loving wife, Jerri, never gave up. She trusted God and believed in the power of healing, but when God chose to give Ralph the ultimate healing of heaven - she didn't curse God or turn her back on him. Instead she continues to this day to sing (literally) his praises. She will tell any one who will listen of God's goodness and mercy.

Jesus, in his flesh, suffered on the cross for each and every one of us. He didn't yell at God when he was praying in the garden of Gethesame. He asked for God's will to be done. In the form of man - he was faithful to the end.

So - God in his Infinite Wisdom - knows what we are going through - day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute - he knew us before we were ever formed in our mother's womb. He knows when we are suffering. He also knows our heart. He knows His people. It hurts Him when we suffer just like it hurt Him when His Son suffered. Those who know Him and trust Him who go through this kind of suffering - who knows who is watching - praying - believing - and ultimately could be telling YOUR story some day.

 

1 comment:

  1. I think this is something everyone who considers faith struggles with - how can suffering be allowed. I don't think I have the answer really. There is a quote that says that God never gives us more than we can cope with. Maybe no one else could manage some of the things we suffer through.

    Thanks for linking up such a thoughtful post.

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete

♪♫♫♪Comments are music to my ears♪♫♪♫