Thursday, January 10, 2013
Random Acts of Kindness
I have read other posts about Random Acts of Kindness and different ideas they have come up with. I have been trying to do more of that myself in the past few months and doubling my efforts for the new year. I thought I would make a list of some of the things I have already done and some I hope to do. Feel free to comment and add to the list. :-)
1. I always write "God Bless" on my receipts at restaurants and leave a bigger tip than the standard, depending on my monies at the time.
2. I made little business card size cards with scriptures and cute graphic and I leave them in random places.
3. Leave quarters at the carwash - scripture card.
4. Put a dollar in a coke machine for the next person to find.
5. Send at least 5 cards per month of encouragement or friendship through snail mail.
6. Take magazines of interest to the nursing home, your favorite salon, doctors office.
7. Bake cookies or cake for no special reason for one of your neighbors you don't know well.
8. Pay for the person behind you at a fast food service or Starbucks (I have had this happen to me and it is so awesome!)
9. Pay for a military man or woman's meal at a restaurant - be sure and say "thank you" to them and if you feel comfortable - give them a hug!
10. Hug or shake the hand of a fireman or policeman when you see them.
11. Donate clothing/toys to your local women's shelter.
12. Take toiletries to your local food bank.
13. Keep a few boxes of small toiletry items, snacks, paper products on hand to send to kids you know are going off to college and give them a box before they leave.
14. Leave a jar of coins on someone's front porch that you know is in need. Add a scripture to the outside of the jar.
15. Leave a roll of quarters in someone's mailbox or where you know they will find them, that you know goes to the laundramat.
16. Fill a backpack full of the necessary items for school and ask the school to give to someone in need.
17. Pay for someone's groceries that are in line in front of you.
18. Donate dog food, shampoo, towels, toys - to your local humane society.
19. Offer to babysit or dogsit for someone you know doesn't get a chance to get out much.
20. Buy several Walmart cards or McDonald's gift cards and keep them for handouts when you see a need.
21. A fun one I just recently started doing is putting a scripture card inside a napkin holder when I go to a restaurant. You have to take out a couple - place the card in and then put the napkins back. I always wonder what the person thinks when they get the card and hope it is something that they needed to hear at that particular time.
22. Send Get Well cards to a children's hospital.
23. Take flowers that you pick to the nursing home and ask them to be delivered to someone who rarely gets visits and is not allergic.
24. Go to the nursing home and read to someone who doesn't get visits regularly.
25. When you find stuffed animals or toys on clearance - buy several and keep them handy for surprise gifts to kids you know.
26. Comment on as many blogs as you can. Everyone wants to feel like their blog is meaningful to someone.
27. Offer to write a letter or 2 for someone in the nursing home.
28. Offer to walk someone's dogs for them if you know they are under the weather.
29. Take a meal to a shut in.
30. Host a neighborhood garage sale and give a percentage to charity.
There are endless ways of passing on an act of kindness. My prayer is that God directs my path in such a way that I am never blind to a need and that I don't judge those who are in need - and that I give from my heart.
If not for the Grace of God - - - ♥