Saturday, July 29, 2017

Thrift Treasure

Oh, today I hit the jackpot. I have a thrift store that I love to go to on the weekends and that is where I buy most of my Reborn clothing to send with the adopted babies. Each week a different color tag is 50% off and another tag is 35% off. I try to stay with the sale colors unless it is an exceptional bargain.I have bought so many "like new" and "new with tags" it's crazy.

Today I did my usual treasure hunt - I have a system - I go to the socks, hats and bibs first - then I slide over to the 2 piece items - cute dresses with bloomers and such. After that I head over  to the blankets. All babies are wrapped in blankets when I send them to new homes and I am always finding beautiful ones. Then my favorite part - the sleepers and lastly the onesies. Oh - and while I am at the blankets I look over the stuffed animals (I have found a mint condition Cabbage Patch Doll so I am always on the look out for another!)

So generally my husband drops me off and he heads over to Lowes or Home Depot  and then I call him when I am ready for him to pick my up - I take my time (which he loves) and can easily spend an hour and half. Today when I was finished treasure hunting I texted Brad to let him know I was ready - but got no response. Then I look up and there he is - trying to pull one on me - he had been there for quite some time stalking me. (lol he is cute that way) 

Anyway - we get ready to check out and he spots this beautiful vintage baby carriage (or pram, as the British say) and commented I should get it - I looked at the price and although it wasn't too awfully bad high - I told him no - I would wait until the color tag on it was half price - and I kind of know the rotation so I figured it would be the following weekend. He kept saying I should get it - I stood firm and paid for my items. We got in the car and I decided to google vintage baby carriages and we were almost home and I told him to TURN AROUND - OH MY GOSH - it was a steal according to all I was seeing and reading on google!! So turn around we did and I paid the ticket and was just so excited I couldn't stand it! It is in MINT condition, people! MINT! I love it. I am still not sure what year it is from but I am guessing 1950ish.

Of course Brad kept telling me how I would have been sick had we gone back and it was gone - and he was right. I am not one to pay full price for hardly anything - but at full price - it was about a fourth of the value.

I can't imagine dropping off something so pretty at a thrift store - not wanting it any more and just discarding it. Who does that? Obviously the person didn't know the value of such a piece. 

So - it is in our study - with a reborn baby in it. I plan to use it to display babies  at craft/vendor shows sometimes - and I am just thrilled beyond words at this gorgeous find.

So glad Brad chose today to come "stalk" me at the thrift store!



No comments:

Post a Comment

♪♫♫♪Comments are music to my ears♪♫♪♫