Thursday, March 29, 2012

Lazy Gallbladder - UGH!

I had my first major gall bladder attack March 1st and it lasted almost 3 days. I was literally in bed all of one of those days. I missed a day and half work. After having labwork, X-Rays and MRI - it was determined that I have a lazy gallbladder. All I know is that is was super duper painful. I had a cyst surgically removed just 2 weeks before (another painful experience) and was still on pretty heavy antibiotics so we (the doctor and I) think those may have played a big part in making the attack extra bad and lasting longer than a typical attack.

The bad thing about a lazy gallbladder? You can't ever make it - what is the opposite of lazy?? - ummm, not lazy, I guess. It only gets worse. You can possibly slow down the need for removal - but removal will eventually come. It may be this year, next year - it may can even wait 10 years - but if I live long enough - eventually it will have to come out.

So - my doctor suggests I try changing my diet first - less fat - less fried - less greasy foods. Ok, how am I supposed to live without french fries? onion rings? bacon? fried chicken? (I am hungry just thinking about it) She suggests I eat less -( sounds like a conspiracy to me! I know already I need to lose 10 - 15 pounds). She suggests I sloooowwwwwwwwww down when eating - put my fork down between bites. I have been fussed at all my life for eating too fast. I come from a long line of fast eaters. That takes some major concentration!

Since that initial attack I have had 2 "mini" attacks - waking me up in the middle of the night but lasting only 15 - 20 minutes - not too bad, but kind of scarey. Sometimes the pain mimicks a heart attack and when you wake up in the middle of the night with that kind of pain - it can be pretty freaky. (In fact, when I went to the doctor the first time, she did an EKG to make sure I was not having a heart attack since the pain can be so similar).

Then today I missed work - I was having a small-ish attack all day, it seems. You know it is bad when water makes you feel yucky.  As I type this - it  finally seems to be totally over. I think I have eaten a dozen TUMS today. Gag...I am sick of the taste of those pretty little pastels. I do have medication to take (as needed) but I can't tell it does a thing for me. My diet consisted of soup, a couple of crackers, some grapes and then I finally felt like I could eat some baked fish and yogurt.

It sure seems like surgery is lurking around the corner, doesn't it?

1 comment:

♪♫♫♪Comments are music to my ears♪♫♪♫